ULYSSES: An object oriented framework for the design and implementation of Augmentative and Alternative Communication Aids
ULYSSES is a new, open software environment for the Design and Development of Component
based Communication Aids. The development of ULYSSES aims to offer solutions to some major
problems in the field of Interpersonal Communication Aids that refer to the following:
- the lack of variety in the commercial Communication Aids, especially in Greece.
- the high cost of such products.
- the great need for parameterization.
- the ever changing user needs.
- the fast changes in the software and hardware technologies.
- the lack of reusable code and components.
- the ununified market.
- the incompatability of components.
- the lack of partnership between manufacturers.
- the lack of aids that support Greek.
The ULYSSES framework has been developed inside Project AINEIAS and is described in the
following technical reports (in greek only):
- Analysis and Technical Requierements of the Object Oriented "ULYSSES" framework for the development of
- Development of the Object oriented "ULYSSES" framework
- Extention of the "ULYSSES" framework
ิhe ULYSSES framework refers to two main user groups:
- The manufacturers of Augmentative and Alternative Communication Systems.
This category includes the designers and programmers of AAC systems. ULYSSES provides the
- The Retailers of AAC systems.
this group of users includes the persons that aquire components of AAC systems from the manufacturers
and compose integrated applications according to the needs of the end users. ULYSSES provides
the retailers with :